Back in 1956, a group of enthusiastic Library supporters formed the Friends of the West Bloomfield
Township Public Library. Since then, this dedicated group of volunteers has worked to enhance the
Library experience by underwriting the cost of materials and programs, purchasing furnishings and
equipment, and promoting the enjoyment of reading. Friends’ contributions have included:
- Funds to enhance collections such as large print books, music CD’s and ebooks.
- Funding special building features at the Library such as the Reading Tree and Storytime Terrace in Youth Services.
- Support for interactive, museum-quality traveling exhibits for families.
- Organizing and underwriting the cost for programs series like Music@Main, What’s Cooking, and Book Talks.
- Sponsorship of the annual Summer Reading program and the Reception for West Bloomfield Book Groups.
- The purchase of sculptures and other art for both Library buildings.
- Underwriting the cost for special events like the National Medical Community Celebration, the Japanese student visits, and the 75th Anniversary Celebration.
- Actively participate in the annual Keego Harbor Memorial Day Parade to promote the Library and Summer Reading Program.
As a Friend you support
- The purchase of books, media, and equipment beyond the library’s budget
- Programs such as Music@Main and What’s Cooking?
- The Book Talk review series for adults with daytime and evening sessions
- The Friends Bookstore
- Two booksales held each year
As a Friend you receive
- A 10% discount on books and merchandise in the Friendshop at the Main Library
- The Between Friends newsletter announcing upcoming events
- Opportunities to volunteer for the Friendshop, programs, and special events
- An invitation to the Friends Annual Luncheon
- Friends Preview nights before each sale
- Your membership will help the Friends accomplish even more.
Funds donated to the Library are raised through operation of the Friendshop Used Book Store at the Main
Library, special weekend book sales, and other fundraising events, as well as membership dues. Since
the opening of the new Main Library building in 2000, the Friends have donated more than $750,000 to
To join the Friends, download the membership form